Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in Microsoft Word format.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- The text is double-spaced; uses a 12-point Garamond font with 11-point footnotes; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines.
So that no misunderstanding occurs, we would like to define our arrangement in detail.
- You have contributed a work for consideration in the above‑mentioned publication.
- You guarantee that your contribution is original material, that it has not been previously published elsewhere.
- You guarantee that the work does not infringe any copyright, violate any property rights, or contain libelous, defamatory or unlawful matter; and you agree to hold the publisher harmless against any claims that may be incurred.
- The Journal of the Canadian Historical Association/Revue de la Société historique du Canada will undertake the substantive edit and copy‑edit of the manuscript, subject to the approval of the volume editors. Your contribution will be returned to you for approval before being typeset. You will not receive proofs; all proofreading will be done by the volume editors of the Journal of the Canadian Historical Association/Revue de la Société historique du Canada.
- Your contribution will be published, copyrighted, and sold by the Canadian Historical Association. You grant and assign to the Association, during the term of copyright, the full and exclusive right to publish this work, or to cause it to be published, throughout the world, in all languages and in all forms and in all media now or hereafter known, including, without limitation, print, microform and optical disc, inclusion in electronic data storage and retrieval systems, and public display. You also grant us such other rights as may appear in this agreement, including the right to use your name and likeness or photograph for the purposes of promotion and advertising. We, in turn, grant you the right of republication in any book of which you are the exclusive author or editor, subject only to your giving proper credit to the original publication by the Association.
- You therefore grant the JCHA / RSHC permission to reproduce, distribute and make available your article in print or electronic form through the JCHA / RSHC as it is presented in all mediums or forms used by the journal. This includes granting third party electronic distributors, contractually associated with the electronic distribution of the Journal, the right and permission to present your article as part of the papers selected by the JCHA / RSHC and its editorial board.
- In order to protect you, us, and the Association from unauthorized use of the material, you agree to refer to the CHA/SHC, Journal of the Canadian Historical Association/Revue de la Société historique du Canada any subsequent requests to publish the contribution or a substantial portion thereof in other volumes or in journals.
- The CHA/SHC will normally exact a standard fee for reprinting when granting subsidiary rights (except noted in 5 above), the amount of this fee to be fixed by the CHA/SHC; this fee will be divided equally with the author.
- You agree to keep us informed of any changes in your address, email or telephone numbers.
- Once published, all materials in their combined form, under the title of the Journal of the Canadian Historical Association or Revue de la Société historique du Canada (JCHA / RSHC), will remain property of the CHA/SHC, its Journal and its Editorial Board.
- The Journal of the Canadian Historical Association/Revue de la Société historique du Canada agrees to send you two free copies of the Journal.
This agreement shall be binding upon you and your legal representatives, executor, heirs and assigns, and upon us and our successors and assigns. This agreement shall be deemed completed only when three copies have been duly completed by you and by us, and we have received two completed copies. If the foregoing terms are satisfactory, please sign and date two copies of this Agreement; make one copy for your files and return email or mail two copies to the journal.